Subscription-based models of income work great for content creators, because you can keep individual subscription costs low and focus on growing your number of subscribers.
A low-cost subscription of, say, one dollar a month is an easy sell to a single, dedicated fan. If you have a lot of dedicated fans, those dollars start to add up.
Patreon was the first large platform built to let creators and influencers generate revenue through paid memberships from their most loyal fans. On Patreon, you can set up membership tiers that allow you to offer exclusive content to your biggest supporters.
Alternatives exist (most notably Ko-fi, which also includes a tipping feature)—but Patreon has the added benefit of brand awareness, which adds a level of trust from prospective supporters.
If you’re thinking a subscription service might be the best way of monetizing your TikTok account, here are some best practices to keep in mind:
- Be transparent. Success on Patreon involves building a high level of trust with your audience, so be transparent about the amount you’re making and how your funds are being spent.
- Entice your fans with rewards. Audiences are likely to increase their donations if they’re getting something worthwhile in return. Reward your biggest supporters with alluring benefits, like exclusive content and free merchandise.
- Thank your supporters directly. Make your fans feel appreciated and they’ll be more likely to keep supporting your work. Reply to comments, tag users, and give video shout-outs to your supporters as frequently as you can.
- Promote your Patreon profile. Fans can’t donate if they don’t know you’re accepting donations. Link to your Patreon page from your TikTok profile and mention it in your videos, especially if you’ve recently gotten a lot of new followers.
- Keep subscription costs low. It’s easier to get $1 from 50 followers than it is to get $50 from one. Keep your subscription costs low and focus on growing your number of subscribers.
- Create new content consistently. Paying audiences have higher expectations when it comes to how frequently you release new content. Keep a content calendar and release new content regularly.